From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] mixing predictable with old style network interface naming
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2017 15:52:22
1 Hi, All.
2
3 This is a bit odd, because of a non conventional hardware platform: Odroid
4 (Hardkernel).
5
6 But I guess overall rules apply to all.
7
8 I need a second network interface, the original and single one present on
9 the board is to be connected to a GigE camera, so I use a USB/ethernet
10 adapter to have SSH remote access.
11
12 I have set up the boot manager so that network interfaces would be named
13 according to the predictable names rules. If not, the USB/eth adapter gets
14 "eth0" if the device is present at boot, otherwise, it is "eth1".
15
16 But if I disconnect the USB/ethernet adapter to leave the system alone, and
17 after a while I need to take a look on what's going on and plug back the
18 USB/ethernet adapter, it comes up as "eth0" again.
19
20 Anyone could give me a hint on where to look at it? Why the new interface
21 is named in a way during boot and another during normal use?
22
23 Thank you!