From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:45:50
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 12.01.2012 00:09, Mike Edenfield wrote:
5 > From: Alan McKinnon [mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com] Sent:
6 > Wednesday, January 11, 2012 5:48 PM
7 >
8 >> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 17:08:04 -0500 Michael Mol
9 >> <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >>
11 >>> I'm seriously unconvinced that concatenating words
12 >>> significantly increases the difficulty of the problem. Just as
13 >>> a mentalist will presume you're thinking about '7', your
14 >>> average demographic would probably draw from a small pool of
15 >>> source words, even latching on to catchphrases and other memes.
16 >>> You're likely to see "steamingmonkeypile", "nyanyanyan",
17 >>> "dontsaycandleja-" and "hasturhasturhast-" used more than once,
18 >>> for example. I'd give a better list of likely results, but I
19 >>> don't want to run too far afoul of good taste in public
20 >>> posting. :)
21 >>
22 >> I agree. Longer pass{words,phrases} only increases the difficulty
23 >> of the problem, but not significantly so.
24 >
25 > After I read the aforementioned xkcd comic, my main question was
26 > how he defined the various bits of entropy for each "thing" done to
27 > a password. That seemed to be a crucial determining factor in why
28 > the "common words" password appeared so much harder than the "goofy
29 > gibberish" one. Some seemed more obvious to me than others.
30 >
31 > I'm also curious, using the latest modern password-cracking
32 > techniques, if his assessment really is accurate. As in, which of
33 > the following two passwords would take longer to crack:
34 >
35 > #purpl3.R$!n#
36 >
37 > dovesymbolcarprince
38 >
39 > --K
43 Since both passwords are of nearly same length, the argument from the
44 comic is not fulfilled: if you would use
45 armageddonholycowencryptionworkshop you would have a relatively easy
46 to remember, long password.
47
48 Password length is far more important than using special characters... [1]
51 [1]
52 http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/password-size-does-matter-531