From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel .config that works for gentoo as guest vm
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 19:09:18
1 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> writes:
2
3 > On Dec 4, 2011 11:40 PM, "Harry Putnam" <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Installing fresh gentoo in guest vm on win7
6 >>
7 >> Before I even try to configure a kernel, because I've been down this
8 >> road a few times, and so far have always had trouble getting a kernel
9 >> config that boots first time on gentoo vm.
10 >>
11 >> The vm is a gentoo guest installed with Vbox on windows 7.
12 >>
13 >> Its been a while since I've done this but I recall having trouble
14 >> getting the right drivers so that disks are properly discovered during
15 >> boot.
16 >>
17 >> I think this kind of config is pretty generic but still manage to get
18 >> it wrong repeatedly.
19 >>
20 >> Can anyone post a kernel .config that is known to boot a gentoo Vbox
21 >> vm installed on windows 7. Or is there a generic config that will do
22 >> that? I've tried genkernel in the past too, and still no boot on a vm.
23 >>
24 >> I guess it would be kernel-3.1.4.
27 > Did it fail halfway during boot, or was it completely unable to load the
28 > kernel?
29
30 Well, like I said, I haven't even tried yet. But last time it booted
31 to the point of recognizing my disks and thats what failed. So the
32 correct mod for vm disks was missing I guess.