From: "João Matos" <jaoneto@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] genkernel 2 manual
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 22:04:48
1 Hi list.
2
3 I've been using Gentoo for quite a long time, and today I decided to try
4 compiling the kernel myself, Thing I've never done before. I want a smaller
5 kernel, a faster boot (without initramfs) and, of course, some fun :).
6
7 I'm still reading the oficial documentation, but I don't think it will be
8 enough, so, if anyone of you know some documentation more detailed, I'd
9 appreciate reading it.
10
11 I've just ran 'make xconfig', and I noticed that the configuration is the
12 same from genkernel (genkernel --menuconfig). Is it good? Should I get an
13 original .conf, with less garbage, or this is just the 'normal default'
14 instead of 'genkernel default' as I'm guessing?
15
16 Is there any tool that can scan my pc and help me out with the .conf or
17 even generate one? I guess not. There are lots of options that I have no
18 idea what they are for. I think this will be the fun part, but I think I
19 can't get a running kernel before I optimize it, so I can do it gradually.
20
21 Just for curiosity, what is the size of your kernel? Mine is 3.4 MB.
22
23 Thank you,
24 --
25 João de Matos