From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nvidia and Minefield?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:39:41
1 On 1/10/07, Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello, list.
3 >
4 > I'm running Gentoo on my box, and got (almost) everything on ~x86,
5 > with the exception of gcc, glibc and binutils, as these have rendered
6 > my box completely b0rked in the past.
7 > (un?)fortunately, this machine has an nvidia graphics display, and we
8 > all know nvidia linux drivers are very far from perfect. I myself have
9 > seen all kind of strange behaviour and lockups with them on various
10 > machines.
11 > Now, I'm helping test Minefield (a.k.a. Firefox 3). And here comes the problems:
12 >
13 > - If I try Minefield with nvidia drivers, I experience X lockup (100%
14 > cpu and completely unresponsive) as soon as I try to either open a
15 > message on Gmail or try to compose a new mail. I was going to post
16 > this message when it locked.
17 > - Firefox 2 with nvidia drivers seem to be OK (I'm posting this right
18 > now on it).
19 > - X with opensource nv drivers eat 80% cpu time even when doing
20 > nothing. My box becomes very sluggish, and it looks like my old 486
21 > dx2 :)
22 >
23 > I find it very strange that Minefield can bring X down by simply
24 > opening a message or trying to compose new mail. I have managed to
25 > reproduce this error here several times. When this happens, I have to
26 > ssh in, kill -9 X, and then wait a bit for gdm to restart it.
27 >
28 > This is very very annoying.
29 >
30 > If I could, I would leave nvidia forever, but I guess there are no
31 > better (or less worse) alternative, so I must stick to these crappy
32 > drivers.
33 > Also, this seems to have started after I had to replace nvidia-drivers
34 > with nvidia-legacy-drivers.
35 >
36 > Any ideas?
37 >
38 > Thanks!
39 >
40 > --
41 > Bruno Lustosa <bruno@×××××××.net>
42 > http://www.lustosa.net/
43 > --
44 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
45 >
46 Heh, imagine the confusion I was having when nvidia + xcomposite hard
47 locked my computer :/
48
49 If SSH works then you might want to investigate "MAGIC_SYSRQ" hot-keys
50 as an alternative ( depending on the environment, some say its a
51 security risk, but i figure if they have access to a keyboard in front
52 of your box then security is beyond compromised. )
53
54 http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/Documentation/sysrq.txt
55 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_Skinny_Elephants_Is_Utterly_Boring
56
57 For your problem i reccon a magic K followed by a VT Switch ( K will
58 often kill X in cases where X's own kill switches fail ) followed by a
59 gdm restart, if you can't be bothered leaving your seat to find an ssh
60 box :)
63 /<ent Fredric
64 (aka theJackal)
65 --