From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Fighting bit rot
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 08:34:37
1 On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 02:47:07 +0000 (UTC)
2 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > ZFS is designed to deal with this problem by checksumming fs blocks
5 > > continually; it does this at the filesystem level, not at the disk
6 > > firmware level.
7 >
8 > I don't understand. If you're worried about media failure, what good
9 > does checksumming at the file level do when failing media produces
10 > seek/read errors rather than erroneous data? When the media fails,
11 > there is no data to checksum.
12
13 Not file level - it's filesystem level. It checksums filesystem blocks.
14
15 And we are not talking about failing media either, we are talking about
16 media corruption. You appear to have conflated them.
17
18 The data on a medium can corrupt, and it can corrupt silently for a
19 long time. At some point it may deteriorate to where it passes a cusp
20 and then you will get your first visible sign - read failure. You did
21 not see anything that happened prior as it was silent.
24 Alan McKinnon
25 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com