From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] file limit
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:22:25
1 On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 20:50:26 -0500
2 Bruce Therrien <bruce.therrien@×××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Is there a limit to the files contained in a directory?
5
6 No. Though the file system type can have an affect on performance if
7 there are a lot of files/directories. For example, reiserfs is much
8 faster at handling a lot of files than ext[23]. What file system are
9 you using?
10
11 > we have over 19,000 in our store graphics directory
12 > and sometimes cannot acces it because the ftp
13 > software says it's not a directory.
14 > It's on an IBM server running gentoo.
15
16 I would think it is the ftp software and not the file system or
17 server. 19,000 is not a huge number. I have an AMD64 3200+ with 2 GB
18 of dual channel DDR 400 and a SATA II drive with reiserfs v3. The
19 system is "speedy" but certainly nothing high end. Here is a test I
20 just did:
23 # Touch 19,000 files
24 jim@keelie $ mkdir /tmp/bigdir
25 jim@keelie $ cd /tmp/bigdir