From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] konqueror:5 - why couldn't it be more like konqueror:3 ?!!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:43:59
1 On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 3:01 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 20 Apr 2017 14:22:06 R0b0t1 wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > OK, I know life moves on, but this move has been a retrograde step for me.
5 >> > My konqueror:5 recently updated seems to have a number of problems and
6 >> > <aheam!> features I am not happy with. Grateful for any pointers to
7 >> > address these. In no particular order.
8 >> >
9 >> > 1. The Bookmarks Toolbar will *always* show up when launching Konqueror.
10 >> > I
11 >> > deselect Settings/Toolbars Shown/Bookmark Toolbar and relaunch the
12 >> > application, only to find out my deselection will not stick.
13 >> >
14 >> > 2. The menu shows no icons, only text; buttons like open new tab/close
15 >> > current tab show no icons, making difficult to guess.
16 >> >
17 >> > 3. When used as a file manager Konqueror will only open directories or
18 >> > files if I double click on them. I have set up in systemsettings5
19 >> > Hardware/Input Devices/Mouse/Single click to open files and folders.
20 >> > Konqueror ignores it.
21 >> >
22 >> > 4. All my years of Bookmarks of Konqueror:4 gone. I had to import them
23 >> > manually.
24 >> >
25 >> > 5. Network places, gone.
26 >> >
27 >> > 6. Left hand Panels with Places/Devices/Folders ain't thaa'r.
28 >> >
29 >> > 7. Konqueror Introduction page, no icons; unless I hover over them,
30 >> > hyperlinked titles shown in dark grey over a blue background. I know my
31 >> > eye sight is not as good as it used to be, but this is really akin to
32 >> > usability sabotage.
33 >> >
34 >> > The are probably more problems I have not captured above, but my
35 >> > experience of konqueror:5 is that of crippleware. I don't know if this
36 >> > has anything to do with it, I am not running konqueror on a full plasma
37 >> > desktop, but as a stand alone application. Have you observed similar?
38 >> >
39 >> > --
40 >> > Regards,
41 >> > Mick
42 >>
43 >> You should take your complaints to the project's bug tracker. I know
44 >> they will take number 7 very seriously, and seeing as you've used the
45 >> project for an appreciable amount of time they will likely consider
46 >> most of your other issues.
47 >>
48 >> At the very least they would probably tell you how to do what you
49 >> don't know how to do. If they can't insist that there has been a
50 >> regression.
51 >
52 > Thanks R0b0t1, I don't want to darken their doorstep of devs with issues which
53 > appear isolated to my systems. Other M/L participants many of whom are
54 > running the full Plasma desktop, do not seem to have such problems. So, I'm
55 > guessing I must be missing some package or other to complement the required
56 > functionality.
59 I have to disagree with you here. There is no way I can see the
60 developers responding negatively, though time might be short for new
61 (or "reintroduced") features. I feel it necessary to mention that
62 seventh item again, which they will take very seriously.
63
64 > I'm still on kmail:4 and all menu icons are shown and functionality is not
65 > crippled in any way. I fear what might happen when I eventually have to
66 > install kmail:5.
69 I feel this is also something you should express to the developers,
70 but admittedly I don't know the best place. Perhaps a mailing list. I
71 understand there is a time investment but if you have any to spare it
72 will almost assuredly spark a constructive conversation.