From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cpu flags / USE flags / compiler flags
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 17:25:37
1 On 8/31/05, Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > before you panic, have you tried the firefox-bin packet with the same site?
5 >
6 > Maybe nspluginviewer is the culprit? I had to kill it so many times I can't
7 > remember.
8
9 Thanks Volker. I'll give it a try.
10
11 I'm still interested in the right way to really set up these flags
12 though. I was looking at some of the online docs and found stuff like
13 this in some emails:
14
15 "I'm compiling currently with -mfpmath=387 -msse -mcpu=pentium3
16 -march=pentium3 and gcc 3.1.1-4 from the very latest experimental
17 cygwin distribution."
18
19 Obviously I'm not intested in cygwin, etc., but when I saw -msse it
20 made me wonder if I was supposed to change my CFLAGS line from
21
22 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
26 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmx -msse -msse2"
27
28 I understand that the USE flags control what options are built into a
29 pachage, but in the case of CPU flags do they also control the
30 compiler flags that are used to build the package? Not being a
31 programmer this is one part I'm confused about.
32
33 Thanks,
34 Mark
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list