From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Excitement...
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 09:28:16
1 ...and disappointment...
2
3 Hello list,
4
5 A month or so ago I asked here for recommendations for a graphics card to do
6 mucho GPU calculations, as I was buying a new system. Well, two weeks ago
7 today the new system arrived. It took me five whole days to find a way to get
8 it to boot, what with its UEFI BIOS and its Radeon R9 M295X Mac Edition
9 display card. I was pretty firmly stuck until Neil B. reminded me of
10 gummiboot. That did the trick. I couldn't get UEFI to run grub at all here
11 (nothing very grand about it in this case).
12
13 Then the display card. Well, after another 10 days of googling and trial and
14 error, yesterday I arrived at a setup that works. Here are the versions I
15 needed to specify:
16
17 # cat /etc/portage/package.keywords
18 ~dev-libs/libclc-0.1.0_pre20150305
19 ~sci-misc/boinc-7.4.42
20 sys-apps/nvme-cli
21 sys-boot/gummiboot
22 ~sys-devel/clang-3.6.2
23 ~sys-devel/llvm-3.6.2
24 sys-firmware/amdgpu-ucode
25 ~sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.4.6
26 ~x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu-1.0.1
27
28 -----------------------------
29
30 That's the excitement. The disappointment is with KMail. The reason I bought
31 the new box is that the old one had developed a hardware fault, somewhere in
32 the PCI region of the chipset I think. Down the years I've been accumulating
33 e-mails that fault appears to have damaged a lot of e-mails to the point
34 that KMail couldn't handle them and threw wobblers all over the place. So
35 now I end up with empty mail folders. I have archives from 19 March and
36 before which I daren't import, but everything between then and last Friday
37 has gone.
38
39 So, if anyone addressed anything to me in the last month, I'm afraid I can't
40 answer you - sorry.
41
42 -----------------------------
43
44 Going back to the GPU calculations, I'm quite certain that I couldn't ever
45 have succeeded with any other distro than Gentoo, with portage's uncanny
46 ability to winkle out the most obscure collisions and dependencies, so I'm
47 very happy to echo Alan Mackenzie's praise for it.
48
49 Well done, our devs, and thank you!
50
51 --