From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Having the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 05:07:34
1 On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM, Chris Stankevitz
2 <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > Section 8c of the handbook tells me:
6 >
7 > ===
8 >
9 > You now have the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings in
10 > the /etc/env.d/02locale file:
11 >
12 > ===
13 >
14 > Code Listing 3.8: Setting the default system locale in /etc/env.d/02locale
15 > LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
16 > LC_COLLATE="C"
17 >
18 > ===
19 >
20 > Q1: Do I have the possibility to set the system-wide locale settings?
21 > A1: YES [I knew the answer to this one!]
22 >
23 > Q2: Should I?
24 > A2: ?
25 >
26 > Q3: If yes, what should I set them to? [The example sets them to a
27 > magical value that seems to be related to code listing 3.6, but it is
28 > not exactly the same. I am in the united states and I speak english
29 > if that helps answer this one.]
30 > A3: ?
31 >
32 > Thank you!
33 >
34 > Chris
35 >
36 > PS: In case it is not clear already I have no idea what a locale is
37 > and have no preference or what it is so long as gentoo and all my apps
38 > are happy.
39
40 A 'locale' is a collection of character set, language, date/time
41 format, currency format, etc [1]. For US English, Dale's response
42 pretty well covers it. As for whether you 'should' set a system-wide
43 locale, it's dependent on the system. If it's a system used
44 exclusively by people with a common choice of locale, it potentially
45 saves on per-user configuration. If it's a system used by people from
46 around the globe, it can break their expectations of how a 'default'
47 system should act before they configure their own account for their
48 own locale. I believe, in the event a locale isn't specified, it
49 defaults to "POSIX". Of course, all of this also depends on the
50 software involved actually honoring the setting, but luckily enough
51 (for selfish people like me, that is), US English tends to be the de
52 facto standard even when things don't honor the locale.
53
54 [1] http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/programming_books/gnu_libc_guide/Effects-of-Locale.html
57 Poison [BLX]
58 Joshua M. Murphy