From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem building VMware Modul
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 16:52:32
1 On 01/02/2011 04:43 AM, 4k3nd0 wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > i got trouble building the vmmon module for vmware workstation 7. I
5 > tried with the ebuild driver as the module from vmware himself. Error
6 > message is always the same(her the short one):
7 >
8 > Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
11 The ioctl item in file_operations was removed by the kernel devs a few
12 months ago while removing the Big Kernel Lock(BKL).
13
14 > Kernelinfo:
15 > Linux Slaxy 2.6.36-gentoo-r6 #1 SMP Tue Dec 28 18:29:09 CET 2010 x86_64
16 > Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5600 @ 1.83GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
17 >
18 > Work with the 2.6.35 perfectly fine, did not change a thing in the config.
19
20 The kernel devs change kernel data structures quite often, thereby breaking
21 all kinds of third-party software. I think I remember this one from building
22 nvidia-drivers. The nvidia devs soon re-wrote their code to use the new
23 kernel data-structure, and I imagine that vmware will need to do the same.
24 Maybe they have already fixed it in a newer vmware version, or will soon.
25
26 IIRC the nvidia team fixed this problem merely by removing any code that
27 refers to the ioctl member of a file_operations structure. That's pretty
28 trivial, so you can give it a try in your vmware code. No warranty implied :)