From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Limit number of cores used by emerge?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 12:31:01
1 On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> OK, my bad for confusing the two. Currently make.conf in the chroot says:
5 >>
6 >> MAKEOPTS="-j3"
7 >>
8 >> and when I run emerge in the chroot it's typically
9 >>
10 >> emerge -DuN -j2 @world
11 >>
12 >> so I think that's about right, or would hope it is anyway. If you see
13 >> a problem please let me know.
14 >
15 > The -j2 on emerge means it'll run 2 makes at once, and each make is
16 > getting -j3, so it'll use (up to) 6 cores at once. You probably want
17 > to just stop using -j option for emerge entirely and stick to the
18 > MAKEOPTS one.
22 I wondered about that. Thanks. It's back to single packages at a time
23 in the chroot.
24
25 Cheers,
26 Mark