From: Raffaele Belardi <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: is multi-core really worth it?
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 10:05:26
1 Raffaele Belardi wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > rebuilding system and world with gcc-7.2.0 on a 6-core AMD CPU I have the impression that
5 > most of the ebuilds limit parallel builds to 1, 2 or 3 threads. I'm aware it is only an
6 > impression, I did not spend the night monitoring the process, but nevertheless every time
7 > I checked the load was very low.
8 >
9 > Does anyone have real-world statistics of CPU usage based on gentoo world build?
10
11 I graphed the number of parallel ebuilds while doing an 'emerge -e' world on a 4-core CPU,
12 the graph is attached. There is an initial peak of ebuilds but I assume it is fake data
13 due to prints being delayed. Then there is a long interval during which there are few (~2)
14 ebuilds running. This may be due to lack of data (~700Mb still had to be downloaded when I
15 started the emerge) or due to dependencies. Then, after ~500 merged packages, finally the
16 number of parallel ebuilds rises to something very close to the requested 5.
17
18 Note: the graph represents the number of parallel ebuilds in time, not the number of
19 parallel jobs. The latter would be more interesting but requires a lot more effort.
20
21 Note also in the log near the seamonkey build that the load rises to 15 jobs; I suppose
22 seamonkey and other two potentially massively parallel jobs started with low parallelism,
23 fooling emerge into starting all three of them, but then each one spawned the full -j5
24 jobs requested by MAKEOPTS. There's little emerge can do in these cases to maintain the
25 load-average.
26
27 All of this just to convince myself that yes, it is worth it!
28
29 raffaele
30
31 Method:
32 The relevant part of the command line:
33 # "MAKEOPTS=-j5 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS=--jobs 3 --load-average 5" emerge -e world
34 on a 4 core CPU.
35 In the log I substituted a +1 for every 'Emerging' and -1 for every 'Installing', removed
36 the rest of the line, summed and graphed the result.

screenshot.png image/png
jobs3-avg5.txt.orig.gz application/gzip