From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Boot disk "renames" /dev/md6 to /dev/md127.
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:15:28
1 Hi, Gentoo!
2
3 I've been in the wars.
4
5 It's so long since I've updated my system, many months, mainly because I
6 got totally confused with changes to portage, and the mess that resulted
7 from gnome 3 becoming stabilised, and hence my XFCE support being
8 drastically undermined. However, it's still a working system, and I'm
9 loathe to go messing around in it, considering how high the risk is of
10 ending up with a non-working system.
11
12 So, why not a new installation, in parallel with my existing one?
13 Sounds like a good idea. So, I read up the new Gentoo handbook in the
14 Gentoo wiki, downloaded the latest installation iso, and burnt it onto a
15 re-recordable CD.
16
17 I booted into this CD image, giving the kernel the "please enable LVM2"
18 parameter, and played around with this, mounting various partitions, and
19 generally checking I had access to all of them in this system.
20 Everything seemed fine.
21
22 Then I tried to boot back into my normal system. Kernel panic! The
23 root file system, /dev/md6, was missing. (/dev/md6 is a software raid
24 partition (RAID-1) built on /dev/sda6 and /dev/sdb6.) Luckily, the
25 kernel messages detailing the RAID assembly were still visible. It
26 appeared that the kernel had built /dev/md127 instead of /dev/md6.
27
28 Several hours of lost sleep later, I managed to boot into an older
29 kernel with a different root file system, and with the help of chroot
30 was able, eventually, to access my /etc/lilo.conf, replace md6 by md127,
31 re-run lilo, and boot "normally".
32
33 So, what was it that chewed up my RAID configuration so badly that
34 /dev/md6 got renamed to /dev/md127? Can I change it back to /dev/md6,
35 somehow? Do I need to bother? How can I ever trust a Gentoo
36 installation CD again?
37
38 In fact, do I really need an installation CD for a new installation?
39 Would I perhaps be better creating new partions then downloading a stage
40 3 from my working system?
43 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).