From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] telnet localhost
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 19:06:52
1 On Mar 27, 2006, at 12:51 PM, kashani wrote:
2
3 > THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
4 >> I want to test that leafnode is up and running, so am using telnet:
5 >
6 > Wow, you got some wacky ass answers on this.
7 >
8 > First off telneting to the port should work as long as you're on
9 > the same box since it's supposed to be running on 127.0.0.1
10 > otherwise known as lo or the loopback address which should clear up
11 > that.
12 >
13 > Then I'd look at logs. xinetd can be finicky about starting
14 > services if they aren't configured right. I'd restart xinetd and
15 > see what it drops in /var/log/messages about which services it's
16 > activating. It's usually pretty good about telling you if it's
17 > accepting a service though it may not tell you why it decided a
18 > service wasn't up to snuff.
19 >
20 > As root a netstat -ptln might tell you if xinetd is holding the
21 > port, but since xinetd is a superdaemon of sorts it might not show
22 > it on the port unless there is a working connection... I'm not sure
23 > and have no desire to install xinetd to find out. :)
24
25 as long as it's configured to not be turned off, xinetd will hold the
26 port open. I use netstat -a|grep LISTEN and it should show up....
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list