From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound. Please, help!
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 18:15:08
1 gevisz wrote:
2 > вс, 18 окт. 2020 г. в 17:20, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>:
3 >> gevisz wrote:
4 >>> No sound at least in Firefox. Tried it on youtube. Skype is currently
5 >>> uninstalled. So, I cannot check using it.
6 >> Just a thought. Are you sure that everything is unmuted? Years ago,
7 >> all the sound control software, Kmix, alsa and others, default to mute.
8 >> If just one of them is muted, no sound. I seem to recall when I did my
9 >> install on this rig that I had to unmute the sound in three places,
10 >> Kmix, alsa and one other that I can't recall the name of. I think I had
11 >> to turn up the volume on alsa as it was set to a really low level once
12 >> it was unmuted. Usually, I turn all of them to the max except the one I
13 >> mainly use. In my case, Kmix is the one I use to really control things
14 >> since it sits on the panel thingy. The others are set at the max.
15 >>
16 >> It's a silly thing but thought it worth a mention just in case there is
17 >> a muted setting somewhere.
18 > Thank you for your input. Yes, it seems that something is muted but what?
19 > I have no KDE and no kmix installed. No pulseaudio.
23 Type in alsamixer in a console or whatever you use and hit tab twice.  I
24 suspect you have that installed.  You should have a text version, like a
25 console uses, and a gui version, that should work in any DM.  Pick your
26 poison and see if anything there is muted or the volume is set really
27 low, like 1 out of 100 or something.  I think hitting the "m" key
28 toggles the mute.  I think it's the arrow keys to increase or decrease
29 volume and move from channel to channel.  It has been a while since I
30 used that so can't recall.
31
32 Let's just hope it is that simple.
33