From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CF and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 18:21:34
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > Bear in mind the limited write lifetime of flash memory. Don't put /var
5 > or /tmp on such a card if you can avoid it.
6
7 Well, I'm not sure any other alternatives are attractive? Unless
8 I find a way to mount those partitions off of a usb stick, or
9 some other idea?
10
11 Since they are not frequently updated and have minimal installed software
12 (iptables on firewalls and DNS on DNS servers) accompanied by the
13 fact that most devices have internal wear leveling; it should take
14 many years to reach the write cycle limits?
17 > http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10448
18
19 very cool! exactly what I could not find.
23 > > Issue 4. Cloning or Duplicating.
24 > > As many of you know, installations can be quite time consuming,
25 > > and challenging on old PCs. So what I intend to do is take
26 > > and currently running machine and stream the contents to
27 > > another machine with a CF burner or pull the CF card from
28 > > a machine that is in good shape but shutdown and duplicate it.
29
30 > Why not copy the contents of a card to a hard disk somewhere? That way
31 > you don't have to disturb a running machine to make a copy.
32
33 > > DD, cpio, scp (example syntax) in a step by step)?
34
35 > You could dd the card to a file and use the same file every time you need
36 > a new card.
37
38 Um I do not mean to be a pain, but could you provide a little bit
39 of pseudo-syntax? Assume I have shutdown a 4 GB CF firewall card
40 and moved it to a reader/writer on another machine. First I need
41 to format the raw (new) 4GB CF card from a reader.
42
43 /media/sdb1 shows up, but when I run 'fdisk /media/sdb1' I get:
44
45 last_lba(): I don't know how to handle files with mode 40755
46 You will not be able to write the partition table.
49 In the past I have formated the CF cards on the new machine being built,
50 but I need help figuring out how to do this, from a CF reader/writer
51 on another machine (thus avoiding a traditional install) ?
54 James