From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: old farts slum_code enforcement
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 05:22:40
1 On 15/09/2014 00:21, James wrote:
2 >
3 >> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 >
5 >> You are a C man.
6 >> Working with bash must be .... excruciatingly painful
7 >
8 > Ah yes, State machine design; not much fittering around with
9 > escaping silly little symbols.....
10
11 python fixes all of that (see below)
14 > sh/csh/bash/scripting is not bad. I just 'lift' the tough stuff
15 > from others mostly. With some codes, like Java, you read
16 > and follow 90%, then there is another code to find and read.
17 > It never ends, on and on and on.... Then instead of one choice
18 > you have 3 or 4 choices....... Maven is a whole nutter beast....
19 > Why it is becoming so important is still a wee bit confusing to me.
20 > [1] http://maven.apache.org/
23 maven is important to enterprise users because Java is important to
24 enterprise customers. Java is important to them because huge numbers of
25 apps that enterprise likes use Java. It's not so much the language
26 itself (any language is almost as good as any other) but the whole Java
27 ecosystem. I see maven like this:
28
29 Maven is to Java what CPAN is to Perl
33 > I'm just not use to that sort of world. In embedded, you
34 > over design before you begin coding. You do not have megabytes
35 > of lib stuff to find and read and test the dozens of variants.
36 >
37 > I like to code. It's debugging the stuff that drives me crazy(er?).....
38 > These kids have no respect for us old farts. I remember when
39 > "numerical recipies in C" [2] was the stuff. Now it's C++ or Java. [3]
40 > I have a book on my shelf (where it belongs) on "Concurrency State
41 > Moels & Java" by Magee and Kramer, 1999 - Wiley. What a hoot!
42
43 I'm looking for two books, and modern kids laugh at me when I mention
44 them. How little they know :-)
45
46 Wirth: Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs
47 Knuth: The Art of Computer Programming (I want the whole complete set of
48 this one) (in dead tree form)
52 > I'm still looking for "Numerical recipies in Bash" ?
53 > Ju gonna code that up?
54
55 You'll have to write that one yourself, I doubt anyone has done it yet :-)
58 > Howz your Fortan 90? I did not even know there was such an
59 > ugly beast [4]. I thought Fortran was outlawed decades ago.
60 > I guess nothing ever dies. Physicists have to have a language
61 > to themselves.
62
63 I believe Fortran is still very much alive and well in engineering and
64 physics - 40 years of number crunching code doesn't just go away by itself
65
66 > Anyway, my_python is comming along......
67 > (pist, don't tell anyone, but I almost, (almost) like python).
68
69 My most favourite language of all time!
70 Runs about as fast as reasonably complex shell code, but because it's an
71 interpreter and not executed directly by the shell, there's no auto
72 globbing and weird bash expansion going on. Effect = all that
73 mind-bending psychosis-inducing escape nonsense just falls away.
74 printf reduces to something a mortal human might even grok.
75 control structures look sane - no fi, esac, or elif. Do's and while's
76 look like real do's and while's
77
78 I could go on, but you get the idea :-)
83 Alan McKinnon
84 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com