From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] couple of newbie questions about emerge
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 08:26:03
1 Hi. I am new to gentoo -- I have used Debian and rpm type
2 distributions, but I have a fewquestions about emerge.
3
4 1) Any way to get a package list as one line per package like
5 debian's dpkg -l or rpm's rpm -qa ? The --info gives info about
6 the system, but does not seem to give a list of packages.
7
8 2) How do I ensure that all dependencies of a package are updated --
9 does --update --deep do this and would --update --deep world or
10 system do this?
11
12 3) Where are the packages listed for system? For instance I
13 installed coldplug and it installed pciutils, but that package is
14 not listed in world -- should it be? Or is it a system package?
15
16 OK, that's it for now -- thanks much in advance for your help.
19 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
20 How do
21 you spend it?
22
23 John Covici