From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel upgrade confusion
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 22:02:51
1 On 30/12/2017 20:43, Jalus Bilieyich wrote:
2 > Recently there was a kernel update and I don't want to reconfigure it
3 > from scratch. In the official documentation, it told me to move the old
4 > .config into the new kernel source tree and type
5 > make oldconfig
6 >
7 > This is where I'm confused; which .config file (/proc/config.gz or
8 > /boot/config) and where in the kernel source tree do I put this file in.
12 Either. As long as the *running* kernel is the one you want to copy
13 from, the contents are identical. You als very likely have a third copy
14 is /usr/src/<whatever>, assuming you left the sources intact after
15 kernel installation (the usual case)
18 Alan McKinnon
19 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com