From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: two usb memory devices
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 01:47:34
1 Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > I have (2) usb memory devices that both work fine with hal/ivman/dbus:
5
6 > > /dev/sdb1 500576 6464 494112 2% /media/usbdisk
7 > > /dev/sda1 127716 3922 123794 4% /media/usbdisk
8
9 > > since they both get 'automounted as /media/usbdisk, I cannot have them both
10 > > active at the same time. I have to plug one in, perform operations, remove
11 > > it and plug in the second device.....
12
13 > > What do I do, so I can plug in both devices, simultaneously and copy
14 > > directly from one usb memory stick to the second memory stick?
17 > As root, create another directory, lets say "mkdir /mnt/usbdisk2" and
18 > edit your /etc/fstab so /dev/sda1 gets mounted at the usbdisk2
19 > directory. You can simply duplicate an already existing entry and edit
20 > it, if you have none, you should learn how to do it...
21
22 Their is not /mnt/usbdisk dir. It gets created automagically by
23 hal/ivman/dbus. There is only /mnt/usb .
24 Both devices work automagically with hal/ivman/dbus, they just do not work
25 together. Here is the relevant portions of the current fstab:
26
27 none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
28 none /proc proc defaults 0 0
29 none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
30
31 Sure, I can put manual entries in to fix this, but, isn't that what
32 udev and hal/ivman/dbus are support to do, automagically? Every time
33 I want to use 2 usb memory sticks on any computer, my only option is
34 to manually edit the fstab?
35
36 When I put the devices into the computer separately, the gentoo systems
37 recognize the devices as
38 /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1, so why can the /media/usbxxxxx entries be
39 created without manual edit of /etc/fstab. After all, isn't this what
40 udev + hal/ivman/dbus are suppose to do?
41
42 confused?
43
44 Jamess