From: Dex Conner <cantcuckthis@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Would a Thinkpad X200 be too much trouble too run gentoo on?
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 15:03:10
1 On 22/04/21 09:09AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2022-04-21 at 15:49 +0300, Dex Conner wrote:
3 > > Hi everyone,
4 > >
5 > > So I've found a Thinkpad X200 online and I'm thinking of buying it for
6 > > libreboot purposes. Do you think the P8600 cpu can handle all the
7 > > compiling on gentoo? For the record, I don't have any of the "big stuff"
8 > > like KDE, GNOME, Firefox (all I have is Tor Browser [which I don't
9 > > compile], dwl and some terminal programs like neomutt and profanity).
10 > > Surely, I wouldn't be spending 5 hours to do small upgrades,
11 > > right?..right?
15 > It's getting harder and harder. There's always GCC, which is going to
16 > take you most of the day to build and will probably require -j1 to keep
17 > you from running out of memory. But aside from that, the big ones are
18 >
19 > * dev-lang/rust: pulled in by anything that needs SVG support unless
20 > you unmask an old insecure version of librsvg or can tolerate half-
21 > broken SVG support. This takes over 24h, requires -j1, and gets
22 > worse every day because it bundles all of its (growing list of)
23 > dependencies.
24 >
25 > * LLVM: needed by rust, some video cards, and certain picky packages.
26 > This one is at least _legitimately_ large but has annoying point
27 > releases every once in a while that trigger a rebuild for little
28 > benefit. Again, expect ~24h.
29 >
30 > * net-libs/webkit-gtk: if you're avoiding firefox (which is huge,
31 > and requires rust, which is huge), then this is your best bet for
32 > a browser engine. Even if you don't use it directly, other apps
33 > like evolution (mail client) can pull it in. It too is huge, just
34 > not as bad as the others. This one finishes in something like 18h
35 > for me.
36 >
37 > Everything else that's packaged well and uses a sane programming
38 > language shouldn't give you much trouble.
39
40 LLVM is annoying even on my current machine but I already avoid rust
41 with rust-bin and I don't have webkit-gtk. I'm wondering much of a remedy
42 using a T400 with quad core mod would be to that 24h compile time. Not sure
43 if it would be worth the 50-70 bucks, though. That's more than what the
44 computer costs!