From: Jens Reinemuth <jens@×××××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: has anyone tried KDE5?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 15:45:16
1 Am Sonntag, 5. Oktober 2014, 18:59:31 schrieb Volker Armin Hemmann:
2 > Am 05.10.2014 um 18:27 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
3 > > On 05/10/2014 17:50, Michael Palimaka wrote:ystem all that much.
4 > >
5 > > My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
6 > > thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
7 > > could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
8 > > managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
9 > > switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.
10 >
11 > or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
12 > But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
13 > all filters broke - several times.
16 I can't really count how many times i simply deleted all the .config/akonadi
17 and .local/akonadi stuff - and let akonadi regenerate it, simply because i
18 deeply believed in the whole crap getting better! It never got better...
19
20 Currently i can live with all that stuff, simply by disabling all nepomuk- and
21 akonadi-stuff and waiting for it to show all my mails again...
22
23 Funny: My wife has a second account with exactly the same settings and is
24 deeply annoyed by the permanent popups telling her that the balloo-indexer has
25 closed... Indeed she has disabled it!!! So i have to kill that shit every
26 time!
27
28 Most annoying story in the last time: KdePIM 4.10 simply stopped working with
29 my private Courier-IMAP-Server, telling everyone, that courier has a bug...
30 Ok, maybe, but it worked since every Version and just stopped because one ore
31 more developers simply decided to do things "right"!!!
32
33 No Problem in Gentoo, simply mask and downgrade kdepim-meta... I had more
34 problems at work with Kubuntu! With KDE4.10.1 everything works as expected...
35
36 But this is just a gnome-like-behavior... The developers simply don't really
37 care what the users want or need... i really never heard of anybody saying: Oh
38 that search stuff is cool! I use it regularily!
39
40 And to go deeper: Why don't they store documents in a database, that is better
41 optimized for documents... MongoDB? CouchDB? Instead they use this shitty
42 mixture of MySQL and Virtuoso!? WTF?
47 jens reinemuth
48 leonhard-eckel-siedlung 4
49 d-67483 edesheim
50 mobil: +49.(0)176.63613420
51 mail: jens@×××××××××.info
52 jabber: jens@××××××××××××××××.info
55 Stewie Griffin: So, what do you think of this "Music Television?"