From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drive storage questions
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 06:20:41
1 On 29/04/2015 00:02, walt wrote:
2 > On 04/28/2015 08:24 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 17:01:49 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >
5 >>> Personally, I like the ZFS approach and do it all in software, catching
6 >>> errors that RAID misses.
7 >>
8 >> The same is also possible with BTRFS,
9 >
10 > I have the impression (without knowing what I'm talking about) that BTRFS
11 > was created to be just like ZFS, minus the software licensing problems.
12 >
13 > Is my impression right or wrong?
16 As with all things, it's probably more complicated than that :-)
17
18 I personally think that ZFS (from Sun Microsystems) and BTRFS (from
19 Oracle) were originally convergent solutions to the same problem, much
20 like Gnome and KDE both try solve the desktop problem. ZFS started out
21 in the Solaris world, and BTRFS in the Oracle-cloned-Red-Hat world, so
22 there is that difference.
23
24 Then Oracle bought Sun and now Oracle "owns" both codebases, so who
25 knows what's going in internally at that corporation wrt modern filesystems.
26
27 ZFS licensing is a problem that should not exist. AFAIK, Sun owned the
28 entire codebase and used their own license. Oracle owns it now, so there
29 doesn't seem to be anything stopping Oracle from releasing the whole
30 thing under multiple licenses, making the problem go away.
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com