From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to untar without first knowing the tar contents?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 18:11:37
1 On Donnerstag 25 Februar 2010, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I backed up my wife's home directory using tar in preparation to
4 > moving her to a new machine but I don't remember the exact command I
5 > used to do the tar command. When I tried to untar on the new machine
6 > it failed to do anything. (except use 30 minutes of CPU time...)
7 >
8 > MacMini home # tar -xjf /mnt/cdrom/evelyn.20100214.tar.bz2 /home/evelyn/
9 > tar: /home/evelyn: Not found in archive
10 > tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
11 > MacMini home #
12 >
13 > I'm currently running
14 >
15 > tar -tz /mnt/cdrom/evelyn.20100214.tar.bz2
16 >
17 > and it's been going 15 minutes without writing anything to the screen.
18 > I assume that I need to list the contents of the tar file to figure
19 > out how to untar but I'm really not sure.
20 >
21 > How do I best proceed?
22 >
23 > Thanks,
24 > Mark
25
26 a different kernel?
27 I had a problem with systemresucecd a couple of weeks ago. Unpacking a tar file
28 with multi gb size took more than an hour - for 300mb.
29
30 I booted into my backup gentoo where untarring the whole thing took less ....