From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Minor Startup Issue
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 01:32:24
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 >On 12/17/05, C. Beamer <cbeamer@×××××××××.net> wrote:
6 >>Hi all,
7 >>
8 >>Up until now, when the computer boots and goes through its startup
9 >>routine, the screen will "blip" and then the text that is scrolling by
10 >>on the screen prior to starting the gui interface, reduces in size.
11 >>Now, the screen still does a slight "blip", but the screen font remains
12 >>the same size as it was prior to the "blip".
16 >The 'blip' is usually when the framebuffer graphics driver turns on
17 >and changes the video mode. Since you are not seeing any difference,
18 >either the framebuffer driver is failing, or you are now using just
19 >the plain vga driver instead of something more advanced (like
20 >vesafb-tng).
21 >
22 >Take a look at what you have under "Device Drivers->Graphics Support",
23 >the answer is probably in there.
24 >
25 I played with this for the better part of the afternoon. Nothing
26 changed. I *do* have vesafb-tng enabled.
27
28 This might be way out in left field, but I compared something between my
29 laptop, which works fine loading the framebuffer device running kernel
30 2.6.14-r4 and my desktop which I upgraded to kernel 2.6.14-r5.
31
32 Running menuconfig, the following lines show:
33
34 Device Drivers --->
35 Character Devices --->
36 [*] Virtual terminal
37 [*] Support for console on virtual terminal
38
39 There are no such lines in running menuconfig on my desktop. The
40 difference *could* be laptop<-->desktop, but I thought I would ask.
41
42 Regards,
43
44 Colleen