From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo minimal CD not runable on 64MB RAM machine
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 11:29:23
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan wrote:
4
5 > > Yes I noticed that. Most websites that I search for did not recommend
6 > > running Linux live-cd on 64MB RAM.
7 > >
8 > > Looks like to have to search for distro that is tailored for embedded
9 > > system.
10 > >
11 > > Thanks.
12 >
13 > You may want to check on Damn Small Linux. One of the older versions
14 > may work with that amount of ram.
15
16 They all will, DSL normally needs only 16 MB of RAM. But be sure to use the
17 slightly larger DSL-N version, because it has the 2.6 version of the linux
18 kernel. Normal DSL uses kernel 2.4, and this will not allow to chroot.
19
20 Here are some other small distributions:
21 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution
22
23 Wow, BasicLinux only needs 3MB (with kernel 2.2). And Tiny Core Linux would
24 even run from RAM, but I do not know if it uses kernel 2.6.
25
26 But as Dale wrote, compiling also needs some RAM. Installing a stage3 system
27 would work, maybe also compiling the kernel (although that (and
28 /lib/modules) could probably be copied from the live-cd). But compiling more
29 would not be fun. Distcc would help, but maybe creating the binary packages
30 on another machine would be better.
31
32 Um, why do you want to use gentoo on such a system anyway? If it will be a
33 text-only system, being used as router or something, okay, this would
34 probably work, but other distros could do this as well.
35
36 I was also tempted to put Gentoo onto an old PIII laptop with 192 MB of RAM,
37 just because I had trouble with other distros - Ubuntu sucks. But then I
38 restrained from doing this.
39
40 Wonko