From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Tool for monitoring what's using the hard drive
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 17:48:53
1 Michael Sullivan <michael <at> espersunited.com> writes:
4 > Is there a tool similar to `top` that will tell me what's using my hard
5 > drive? My hard drive clicks a lot when I don't think it should, and I'd
6 > really like to know what program is using it. Sometimes it's so bad
7 > that I have to manually power down the machine and restart it...
10 Using a variety of tools will help you discover the offending processes.
11 Here are my suggestions, all in portage
12
13 hddtemp, to see if the drive is overheating.
14 pstree to see a simple graphical representation of your processes
15 hdparm to see check your hard drive (ide) settings
16
17 You have many good suggestions from others. Keep looking until you
18 find what is curious and then post back, if you cannot find a solution.
21 hth,
22 James