From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Laptop
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:44:46
1 On Thursday 08 March 2007 16:18, Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
2
3 > I use Fluxbox as my GUI
4 >
5 > wishes / wants -- i would really love the flash cards from my camera to
6 > automout and be read/write automatically
7
8 You would probably want hald, dbus which are now installed by default when you
9 emerge KDE applications. You may also want to install ivman for
10 automounting. Personally, I have stayed away from ivman and added something
11 like this to my ~/.fluxbox/menu to choose when I mount/unmount my flashcards:
12 ========================================
13 [submenu] (CF / camera)
14 </usr/kde/3.5/share/icons/slick/32x32/devices/camera.png>
15 [exec] (mount CF) {pmount /dev/sda1 && konqueror /media/sda1}
16 </usr/kde/3.5/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/devices/compact_flash_mount.png>
17 [exec] (unmount CF) {sync && pumount /dev/sda1}
18 </usr/kde/3.5/share/icons/crystalsvg/32x32/devices/compact_flash_unmount.png>
19 ========================================
20 The assumption being that your camera/flashcard reader is detected
21 as /dev/sda1, not /dev/sda. Adjust or duplicate as required.
22
23 Alternatively, you need to launch Konqueror every time before you navigate to
24 Storage Media and click to mount your camera device therein.
25
26 > Id also like the external usb / firewire drives and flash (thumb) dries to
27 > do the same thing
28
29 As my comments above.
30
31 > the hdd is 80gb and i will be partitioning it thusly:
32 >
33 > 32mb - boot
34 > 1gb - swap
35 > remainder /
36
37 Unless you are keen to keep your boot time in the nanoseconds, I suggest that
38 you add a few more partitions and have swap (/dev/hda1), / (/dev/hda2), /home
39 (/dev/hda3) on primary partitions. The remaining goes into an extended
40 partition (/dev/hda4), and /usr/portage (/dev/hda5) and /boot (/dev/hda6) on
41 logical partitions thereafter. My rational is as follows:
42
43 When you use swap you want it to be as fast as it gets. Root and /home come
44 next. You keep /home on a separate partition for ease of back ups and to
45 simplify a reinstall in the future, or a transfer to another machine
46 altogether. /usr/portage goes on a separate partition to minimise fs
47 fragmentation. /boot goes last because you only access it once every time
48 you boot and it is small enough to quickly move/back up/restore to another
49 partition if you decide to add some more partitions to your scheme.
50
51 DISCLAIMER
52 Before anyone starts shooting me down, this is just my preferred way of
53 partitioning a laptop. No doubt there are umpteen partitioning schemes out
54 there, some simpler, some more complex, some of which involve LVM, EVM; etc.
55 Not all of them maximise access/read/write times for the most often used
56 directories/files and minimise fs fragmentation.
57
58 > it has 1gb memory onboard
59
60 I wish mine did too. ;-)
61
62 > i have 2 hard drives for the machine, so i will keep the current gentoo
63 > install, and swap the other one in to build on, but that keeps it from
64 > being a rush job and hopefully i can get it right the first time. I will
65 > be taking this machine with me for 3 weeks storm chasing this summer and i
66 > need to be able to depend on it to always JUST WORK without hassles etc.
67 >
68 > I am looking for recomendations / suggestions / pitfalls etc to assembling
69 > this machine -- i will be following the manual for the build, but if anyone
70 > has done this type of builds in the past and has suggestions etc id
71 > appreciate recomendations, or links to appropriate howtos etc. Many of the
72 > things i want to add / build have howtos associated with them, and i will
73 > be using them.
74
75 If you like your current desktop and applications configuration you can copy
76 over most config files from /etc and /home onto your new drive and then
77 emerge packages as you need them.
80 Regards,
81 Mick