From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] S.O.P.A and P.I.P.A and the blackout.
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 23:04:57
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
4 > There are basically 2 things PGP/GPG normally does for emails: signing
5 > and encrypting. They are not mutually exclusive.
6 >
7 > Signing (like you see on a lot of messages on this list, for example)
8 > is about the person who SENT the message. It lets you verify that the
9 > person who wrote the message is who you think they are, and that the
10 > contents of the message itself have not been altered.
11 >
12 > Encrypting is about the person RECEIVING the message. If you encrypt,
13 > it makes it so the message cannot be read by anyone except for the
14 > recipients you specified when encrypting it. (The sender is usually
15 > added to the encrypted recipients automatically, in case he needs to
16 > read his own sent message at a later date). Encryption is obviously in
17 > very bad taste on a public mailing list. :)
18 >
19 > So if you send a message that is both signed + encrypted, it will
20 > verify the identity of the sender as well as restrict the ability to
21 > read to only the people the sender wants.
22 >
23 > You can also use PGP keys for authentication (with an OpenPGP
24 > smartcard), and for signing files, which works just like signing
25 > email.
30 I think I get this now. When I sign the message, someone else opens it,
31 then it shows up that I signed it with the digital signature. Anyone
32 can read it tho. It's public as any normal email. Everyone just knows
33 it came from my rig is all.
34
35 When I encypt a message, only the person that I select the keys for can
36 open it. Example. I hit send and select your name in the little box
37 that pops up. Then only you can see the message but others on the list
38 can't since I only sent you the keys. Am I close?
39
40 I'm using Seamonkey by the way. When I hit send, I get a pop up window
41 that lists all the key thingys. I'm not sure how other clients do this.
42 I select which keys in that thing then it sends it.
43
44 Dale
45
49 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
50 how you interpreted my words!
51
52 Miss the compile output? Hint:
53 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"