From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] LENOVO Z510 + Dual Boot + Gentoo == True ?
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:57:00
1 On Saturday 15 Mar 2014 17:17:19 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 13:33:20 +0000
3 >
4 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Saturday 08 Mar 2014 20:22:12 »Q« wrote:
6 > > > On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 08:23:21 +0100
7 > > >
8 > > > grub booted Gentoo just fine, but Windows booting failed, something
9 > > > about not finding partitions or files. Instead of troubleshooting
10 > > > that, I disabled os probing for grub (GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
11 > > > in /etc/default/grub) and added Windows via /etc/grub.d/40_custom ,
12 > >
13 > > > like so:
14 > > If you moved the MSWindows OS or boot partitions then the UUIDs would
15 > > have changed.
16 >
17 > I moved the OS partition, and it's UUID did indeed change.
18 >
19 > > You'll need to edit the MSWindows boot menu (in the MSWindows boot
20 > > partition) and change their entrie(s) accordingly.
21 >
22 > If somebody can post a link to a recipe for doing that, I'd appreciate
23 > it. I don't understand the Windows boot stuff.
26 Like most things MSWindows related you will need patience which in my case
27 runs short - at some subconscious level I consider spending time on MSWindows
28 a resentful waste of my life ... but YMMV.
29
30 It used to be simple enough, until the Vista-disaster was launched. In any
31 post Vista OS you will find that the boot system files have changed somewhat.
32 First of all from Windows 7 onward there is usually a separate boot partition.
33 Second, you now have to use the bcdedit.exe command to edit the 'boot.ini'
34 file. Third, the plain text 'boot.ini' file is no longer called "boot.ini"
35 and it is no longer a plain text file, but binary. :-(
36
37 So, the new boot.ini is called BCD and if you search for it through your
38 MSWindows partitions you will eventually find the partition with the boot
39 files. The BCD file is in the hidden (for MSWindows) Boot directory, in a
40 separate from the OS boot partition:
41
42 ls -la /mnt/Win7/Boot/BCD
43 -rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36864 Mar 9 08:57 /mnt/iso/Boot/BCD
44
45 (here I have mounted the MSWindows boot partition under /mnt/Win7/)
48 To view its contents, boot into MSWindows and run in a console:
49
50 C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit /v
51
52 (assuming that your OS partition is mapped to C:\ drive).
53
54 You will need to change the UUIDs for the MSWindows OS and for the boot
55 partitions (called GUID in MSWindows) using the bcdedit command, one line at a
56 time. It is primitive compared to a Linux text editor and painful if you make
57 a typo, but that's MSWindows for you.
58
59 The MSWindows boot partition will have the "identifier" {bootmgr}, while the
60 OS would have {current}, or {default}.
61
62 To find out what GUIDs your moved MSWindows partitions (Volumes) have, you can
63 use the diskpart command. Start>run>cmd>diskpart>list disk and diskpart>list
64 volume. If that doesn't show what you're after, use the GWMI command in
65 MSWindows powershell:
66
67 GWMI -namespace root\cimv2 -class win32_volume | FL -property
68 Label,DriveLetter,DeviceID,SystemVolume,Capacity,Freespace
71 For more info have a look here, from when I fought setting up a MSWindows dual
72 boot system by chainloading grub:
73
74 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/226452/focus=227265
77 PS. For bcdedit options see these links:
78
79 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709667(v=ws.10).aspx
80
81 http://diddy.boot-land.net/bcdedit/files/commands.htm#enum