From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: (double)click
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 17:29:29
1 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 2012-11-06, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > >> The keyboard that came with my 8Mhz IBM PC-AT back in 1986 still gets
6 > >> used every day and still works as good as the day I unpacked it.
7 > >> It's an absolutely brilliant job of engineering and manufacturing.
8 > >
9 > > That's because it's a Model M - the best keyboard ever made IMNSHO
10 > >
11 > > You know you can still buy those?
12 >
13 > Yea, Unicomp bought the rights and sells them for $80:
14 >
15 > http://www.pckeyboard.com/
16 >
17 > I was thrilled when I saw they offered a "spacesaver M" model. I
18 > thought it was going to be a clone of the IBM 84-key model M "space
19 > saver" that IBM sold back in 87-89.
20 >
21 > Nope. It's the same desk-hogging size as a regular M -- not really
22 > sure where the "space saving" comes from.
23 >
24 > So now I'm really torn between the key-action of the M and the smaller
25 > size and built-in pointer of the IBM spacesaver II.
26 >
27 > Once upon a time, there was a Minnesota company called Omnikey that
28 > made excellent keyboards -- almost as good as the model M (and they
29 > had a dipswitch and extra keycaps that let you have a proper Control
30 > key). I think got bought by Northgate, and then went out of business
31 > back when all the other smaller clone manufactures...
32
33 Take a look at a company called Ergonomic Resources -- sorry I no longer
34 have the URL, but they make a similar keyboard which has actual
35 switches! etc. I do have the name -- Avant keyboard.
38 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
39 How do
40 you spend it?
41
42 John Covici