From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Accessing a Samsung phone and it's data.
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2019 18:21:44
1 On 2019.07.31 12:25, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2019-07-30 22:44, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I wonder, if I bought a bluetooth USB thingy and put that on my
5 >> puter, would that help any? Since I hooked up my wifi router and it
6 >> uses that, would that help? Or is the USB cable directly connected
7 >> the best way?
8 >
9 > I have a USB to BT adaptor. It's worse than paperweight: I could
10 > never make it work on gentoo, or any other kind of Linux. I think it
11 > might be like the infamous Winmodems of old, requiring a proprietary
12 > driver to do anything at all.
13
14 I have one that works just fine. It shows up with lsusb as:
15
16 Bus 007 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
17 Dongle (HCI mode)
18
19 I ordered it online, for not much money, but I'd have to dig to see if
20 I still have any records of where I ordered it. (eBay is likely) I'd
21 also have to do some digging to see if I needed to modify my kernel
22 config to add anything for it. So far, I have only used it for a
23 headset, and I know I went through a number of trials and errors before
24 getting it to work consistently, but it does work fine.
25
26 Jack