From: Dr Rainer Woitok <rainer.woitok@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google pop3 authentication failure
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 15:34:00
1 Neil,
2
3 On Tuesday, 2022-06-14 15:20:36 +0100, you wrote:
4
5 > ...
6 > > https://getmail6.org/configuration.html#configuring
7 >
8 > Good point, it's that long since I set up getmail, I had to check if it
9 > was using IMAP or POP, and I'm using it with IMAP. Is there a reason you
10 > can't or won't use IMAP?
11
12 Well, the reason for using "fetchmail" at all is probably historical: It
13 was the only available mail retrieval utility on Sun's Solaris way back
14 in time. I am used to (and sort of depend on) running "fetchmail" as a
15 daemon as well as using the "dropdelivered" directive provided by it for
16 POP3 which causes fetched mail to be deleted on the server.
17
18 But I've meanwhile seen that "getmail" provides the "--delete" command
19 line option for that. And regarding the daemon mode I could whip up a
20 shell script which runs "getmail" together with a "sleep 60" command in
21 an infinite loop. So I could probably give it a try.
22
23 Sincerely,
24 Rainer