From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] journald refuses to put log files in /var/log/journal/
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 00:42:13
1 My main desktop machine is obviously having a brain fart :(
2
3 systemd-journald is allegedly obligated to write its journal files
4 to /var/log/journal/ *if* that directory exists, right?
5
6 Well, on my three other gentoo ~amd64 machines, that's exactly what
7 journald does.
8
9 But not on my everyday work machine, oh no. I'd be daft to expect
10 my one main everyday machine to obey the rules, right?
11
12 On this machine (the one I'm using now) journald is writing its
13 files to /run/log/journal/ instead of /var/log/journal/
14
15 # ls -l /var/log/journal/
16 total 4
17 drwxr-sr-x 2 root systemd-journal-remote 4096 Sep 22 14:39 remote
18
19 #ls -l /var/log/journal/remote/
20 total 0
23 The *.conf files in /etc/systemd/ are the same on all machines:
24 all of the config items are commented out, as sys-apps/systemd
25 installed them.
26
27 So, why is this particular machine not behaving like the others?
28
29 Any debugging ideas would be most welcome.
30
31 Thanks.