From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2020 00:22:42
1 On 8/28/20 4:45 PM, james wrote:
2 > If we can get these codes running on arm64 (R.P.4) surely running them
3 > on AMD or intel is trivial?
4
5 I will be flabbergasted if something would run on the Raspberry Pi that
6 won't run on x86 (Intel / AMD). Presuming that it's complied from
7 common source code.
8
9 > Perhaps a read on "Intel cripple AMD functions is in order?
10 > https://www.agner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6
11
12 I don't believe this is germane to the primary topic of this thread.
13
14 > (2) identical R.Pi.4 8gig rams systems, running gentoo.
15
16 Okay.
17
18 > (1) dns resolver codes emails service codes etc
19 > (1) dns resolver codes, webserver to support email services etc.
20
21 So each Raspberry Pi is performing a different function. Okay.
22
23 I was wanting to make sure that you weren't wanting to try to do some
24 sort of clustering where each Raspberry Pi could stand in for the other.
25 As that's a considerably more complex configuration.
26
27 > I'm open to the stack (list) of codes necessary to securely run
28 >
29 > 1. embedded gentoo on R.P.4 (other hardware can be funded by others).
30 >
31 > 2. Any number of robust email servers-systems (open)
32
33 I've recently shared what I have used for email.
34
35 > 3. a DNS servers to provide "primary dns services" a total of
36 > (2). More than 2 would be great.
37
38 Please elaborate on what you are proposing network connectivity to be?
39 Are you thinking the Pi's have globally routed IPs? As such, primary
40 DNS could be 192.0.2.1 and secondary DNS could be at 192.0.2.2?
41
42 Note: It is best practice to have primary and secondary DNS servers in
43 different /24 (or larger) networks.
44
45 If you are thinking two globally routed IPs, I believe that
46 significantly, if not artificially, narrows the number of people that
47 could participate as getting multiple IPs on a SOHO Internet connection
48 can be challenging and almost always requires additional monthly fees.
49
50 Conversely, a single IP with proper network magic is much simpler entry
51 point.
52
53 > 4. A companion   ngnix(?) web server just to complement the project. The
54 > ideas is each email services collective could have their own web pages
55 > explaining their email and related services.
56
57 Okay. You can run the web server on the same system. But if you want
58 to run it on a separate system, that's fine too.
59
60 I'm somewhat confused by your choice of the word "collective".
61
62 My anticipation is that many of the people that would be doing this,
63 would be doing so for their own person reasons. Much like I have my
64 domain name for my own reasons.
65
66 I don't anticipate that people will be offering services to more than a
67 few friends and / or family members (if that).
68
69 > 5. On these (3) projects, I'd be open to other, complementary
70 > experimentation, as long as it is published.
71
72 > Grant Taylor, do not let it go to your head, but I agree with most
73 > of what you write in Gentoo User.
74
75 Me? I'm just an idiot on the Internet with some things to say.
76 Sometimes they happen to be true. Ideally, you know (or learn) enough
77 to tell which is which. ;-)
78
79 But, thank you. :-)
80
81 > 6. (2) Rpi4 (8 gig) systems and extras are 2-3 hundred dollars. So it's
82 > total less than $900 USD dollars. NOT a bid deal for my little corp.
83 > Actually, if I get what I need, then it's the most inexpensive && robust
84 > way for my little corp to get exactly what I need. My own small email
85 > servers and dns resolvers supporting those email services.
86
87 Based on some back of the envelope math.... Sure.
88
89 > I'm not funding somebody else's idea. I'm funding what *I* want, open to
90 > input.
91
92 That seems reasonable.
93
94 Though, I think that some of your requirements are still a bit too
95 undefined. Even independent of what software is used and how it's
96 configured, there are still questions:
97
98 - Are IP addresses globally routed or not?
99 - Are said IP addresses static or dynamic?
100 - What sort of client's will be accessing this?
101 - Where will they be accessing from; LAN and / or Internet?
102
103 > With this effort others benefit from the project. The ultimate goals
104 > is for hundreds of email services to be setup, gentoo centric.
105 >
106 > OK, great. FUND what you want. Run things as you see fit
107
108 I have been.
109
110 My intention is to see if there is a way that I can contribute to your
111 community project without consuming any funds so that other people might
112 be able to benefit from your generosity.
113
114 > Show me a concise, easy to follow set of codes and docs, and I'll just
115 > build (2) R.P.4 servers and share my docs 100%.
116
117 There is more to setting up and running an email server off of a SOHO
118 internet connection than just how the email stack is configured.
119
120 > Forget the fact, for now, that all static IPs Frontier has, are
121 > blocked by this same group of higher and higher standards. Really,
122 > I'm kinda shocked NeddySeagoon, or others have not already fixed this,
123 > via 100% gentoo codes, complete with ample documentation.
124
125 That's an example of the type of problem that will need to be overcome
126 which is independent of the email server stack.
127
128 > Just add the email, dns, ngnix, security setup codes to this doc?
129
130 From skimming that document, it looks like it's the foundation that
131 everything else would be built on top of.
132
133 > I have been researching and reading, for over (3) weeks and have yet
134 > been able to formulate a pathway to get a mail server up.
135
136 Answer the questions that I posted above. They will be a start. I'm
137 sure there will be others.
138
139 Would you be willing to enlist the services of a minimal VPS if all of
140 the email really lived on the Raspberry Pi (et al.) in your office?
141
142 The VPS is basically an easy way to get a hold of a globally routed IP
143 for reasonable monthly fee.
144
145 > Granted the industry black-balling Frontier, is a bit of a shocker
146 > to me. No wonder Frontier is is receivership, with Verizon licking
147 > their chops to get a big chunk of Frontier back.
148
149 What I'm thinking of with the VPS would even work around the Frontier issue.
150
151 > I can fix this problem, in a few months. There are legal places to
152 > take 'racketeering' and other forms of 'monopolistic" behavior to
153 > for resolution.
154
155 I don't believe that it's racketeering or monopolistic. I think it's
156 more that ARC is still immature enough that there isn't an answer to the
157 age old question of "can I trust this (web)site or not"? How do you
158 know who to trust when everybody jumps up and down and says "You can
159 trust me!!!".
160
161 I suspect the answer will be reputation systems like are used for IP
162 addresses.
163
164 > Email was created and spread via RFC standards.
165
166 What I've observed the big email providers doing is still within open
167 standards like RFCs. I even see people, like myself, from the big email
168 providers actively contributing to future versions of said standards.
169
170 I don't think that a technical discussion is a good place for politics.
171 ;-) To each their own opinion. Let's focus on solving technical issues
172 and developing a solution that we can all benefit from.
173
174 > Both you and Ash, are on my short list. No doubts. If you need
175 > financial help, after this is done and published, then contact me
176 > privately.
177
178 Thank you for the offer. I'd prefer to give up my seat (Pi) to someone
179 else, and still contribute to the group project.
180
181 > Anyone can post with their ideas a solution.
182
183 Agreed.
188 Grant. . . .
189 unix || die