From: fire-eyes <sgtphou@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reducing disk usage
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:47:51
1 Grant wrote:
2 > I've found myself with a full hard disk and no obvious choices for
3 > reducing usage. Are there any not-so-obvious ways to free up hard
4 > disk space?
5 >
6 > - Grant
7
8 I'll agree with the other suggestions which i'll put here:
9
10 1) rm -r /var/tmp/portage/* (the /* is important)
11 2) rm -r /usr/portage/distfiles/*
12 3) Keep your kernel sources compressed until you need them. This saves
13 about 190MB or something:
14 cd /usr/src/ ; tar cj linux-`uname -r` -f linux-`uname
15 -r`-COMPRESSED.tar.bz2 && rm -r linux-`uname -r` obviously you'll
16 have to untar and re-delete that tree if you actually need it.
17
18 Here's a new one. Once you have more space, IF you have kde, filelight
19 is a nice way to see space usage and track it down quickly and see it in
20 a great visual format. Be sure to go into its settings, though, and tell
21 it to cross filesystem boundaries, and also show small files.
22
23 I'll also agree that reiserfs (3) is nice in that by default it packs
24 tails, i.e. compresses the ends of blocks. Over a whole system this can
25 add up to a few dozen more MB of space usable.
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list