From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't stop the panic on eeepc
Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 07:53:15
1 On Tue, 5 May 2009 16:23:13 -0700 (PDT), maxim wexler wrote:
2
3 > grub.conf:
4 >
5 > default 0
6 > timeout 10
7 >
8 > title Gentoo
9 > root (hd0,0)
10 > kernel /boot/kernel root=/dev/sda2 # 'kernel /kernel' also works
11
12 kernel /kernel is the correct setting when you have a separate /boot, the
13 other only works because of the symlink in /boot. Although when you are
14 so limited for storage space,, which waste it with an extra filesystem? I
15 have root at /dev/sda1 on this Eee and no /boot filesystem.
16
17 > One thing I noticed when I setup grub is that the USB stick which holds
18 > the liveOS xubuntu is called /dev/sda and the SSHD /dev/sdb. Which I
19 > took into account:
20
21 That's because the BIOS makes the boot drive the first disk.
22
23 > grub> root (hd1,0) #which gives the appropriate response
24 > grub> setup (hd1) #ditto
25 >
26 > But of course when I boot w/o the USB stick I go back to calling the
27 > drive (hd0). I assume that's correct because poking around on the
28 > command line when I get to the splash screen proves it. If I enter the
29 > command kernel / and hit tab it displays the contents of /boot just as
30 > it should. If I follow that with root=/ and then tab it says "invalid
31 > string". Nevertheless I am convinced that /dev/sda2 is /. root=(hd0,1)
32 > also boots into a panic. On my desktop I don't even use the root= line
33 > and it boots fine.
34
35 Do you mean the root grub line or the root= parameter for the kernel?
36 The first should be (hd0,0) and that is working or you'd never load a
37 kernel to panic. Have you fiddled with the boot order in the BIOS? That
38 may be changing the numbering of the drives for the kernel. Have you
39 tried using sdb2? What is the panic message?
43 Neil Bothwick
44
45 Good fortune will find you provided you left clear instructions.