From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Dual booting Dell with Windows 7
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 15:48:00
1 Hi All,
2
3 I bought a Dell XPS laptop which seems to have 3 primary partitions. The
4 third partition is where Windows 7 resides, while the second partition is
5 flagged as bootable. The first partition contains some Dell (recovery) tools.
6 I am lead to believe that the second partition is the back up partition and is
7 meant to be used to restore the OS in the third partition. This confuses me a
8 bit - shouldn't the third partition which houses the OS be flagged as bootable
9 instead?
10
11 Anyway, I do not want to interfere with the Dell/MS Windows OS way of booting,
12 at least until the warranty expires. What is the recommended way of dual
13 booting with Gentoo? In the past I have either installed GRUB in the MBR and
14 chainloaded WinXP from there, or I have installed GRUB in the Linux partition
15 boot record and then used NTLDR to chainload grub from the MSWindows
16 bootloader.
17 --
18 Regards,
19 Mick