From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 01:11:39
1 On 2/27/20 1:49 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 4:25 PM james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Yea, I was not clear. I'd run the mail-server, on a 'cluster' (4 or
5 >> more), not an individual pi-board unless it was beef up, processor and
6 >> ram wise. Gig E would also be on my list.
9 > Unless you have some niche need I wouldn't generally run servers on
10 > Pis. The biggest issue with ARM is that all the cheap platforms are
11 > starved for RAM, and RAM is one of the biggest issues when running
12 > services. And of course the Pi in particular has IO issues (as do
13 > many other cheap SBCs but this is less of an ARM issue). The RAM
14 > issue isn't so many an ARM issue as a supply/demand thing - the only
15 > people asking for 64GB ARM boards are big companies that are willing
16 > to pay a lot for them.
17 >
18 > I do actually run a few services on Pis - DNS, DHCP, and a VPN
19 > gateway. That's about it. These are fairly non-demanding tasks that
20 > the hardware doesn't struggle with, and the data is almost entirely
21 > static so an occasional backup makes any kind of recovery trivial.
22 > The only reason I run these services on Pis is that they are fairly
23 > fundamental to having a working network. Most of my services are
24 > running in containers on a server, but I don't want to have to think
25 > about taking a server down for maintenance and then literally every
26 > IOT device in the house won't work. These particular services are
27 > also basically dependency-free which means I can just boot them up and
28 > they just do their jobs, while they remain a dependency for just about
29 > everything else on the network. When you start running DHCP in a
30 > container you have more complex dependency issues.
31 >
32 > A fairly cheap amd64 system can run a ton of services in containers
33 > though, and it is way simpler to maintain that way. I still get quick
34 > access to snapshots/etc, but now if I want to run a gentoo container
35 > it is no big deal if 99% of the time it uses 25MB of RAM and 1% of one
36 > core, but once a month it needs 4GB of RAM and 100% of 6 cores. As
37 > long as I'm not doing an emerge -u world on half a dozen containers at
38 > once it is no big deal at all.
39 >
40 > Now, if I needed some server in some niche application that needed to
41 > be able to operate off of a car battery for a few days, then sure I'd
42 > be looking at Pis and so on.
45 Thanks for the detail, I've just ordered an RPi4B to mess around with.
46 It would be helpful to move DNS etc off my home server as I'm trying to
47 separate everything into VLANs.
48
49 Dan