From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel vs kernel manual compilation
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 20:21:52
1 On 8/31/07, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:41:19 -0400
3 > Ryan Sims wrote:
4 >
5 > > On 8/31/07, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
6 > Hi,
7 > > > Really, I like to read people's opinion about genkernel, but no one
8 > > > has tried to answer my question yet.
9 > >
10 > > In my first reply, I suggested looking at a diff between your config
11 > > and genkernel's config. How did that turn out?
12 >
13 > Mmm... I though I answered that.
14 > at conceptual level, I did a gunzip and moved original 2.6.12
15 > genkernel's /proc/config.gz to .config and then, make oldconfig in new
16 > 2.6.21 sources dir (/usr/src/linux link dir).
17 >
18 > So, I should do a diff between my new .config after make oldc onfig,
19 > and currently config generated by genkernel... but has it sense? I
20 > mean, what differneces could be between them?
21
22 That's what we're trying to find out. If the diff comes up empty,
23 we'll have to look elsewhere, but it's easy to check.
24
25 One thing...are you actually going from 2.6.12 to .21? Or is that a typo?
26
27 While you're rebooting, see if you can get your new kernel to panic
28 again at boot, write down the error, and post it.
31 Ryan W Sims
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list