From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] most of /usr/portage gone--why? and what now}
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 02:05:34
1 William Kenworthy schreef:
2 > If files have gone missing first step is fsck the disk just in case.
3 > Next emerge sync if it works. (dont use the fancy options until its
4 > working again.) Whats "esync" ?? I wouldnt trust it until you know
5 > what happened.
6
7 Esync is a part of gentoolkit-- it runs emerge sync and outputs or mails
8 you the updated package list (new and upgradeable packages). It's really
9 not dangerous in and of itself.
10
11 Isn't what happened that the sync failed before it was able to import
12 the new portage tree, but after it had removed the old one?
13
14 I could be wrong-- although I've had several failures to sync in the
15 past few days myself (but I didn't check /usr/portage afterwards, since
16 I knew it would be borked, but it does support some kind of weird server
17 issue), but it seems to me that all that's needed is a successful sync
18 to re-populate the Portage tree.
19
20 Afaics, this is one of those "head wound" kinda problems (bleeds a lot
21 and looks very scary, but not as serious as it seems at first glance).
22
23 But I could be mistaken.
24
25 Holly