From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mothballing a ~arch gentoo system?
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 08:01:28
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2009-12-27 at 20:45 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Marcus Wanner wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> When an old (circa 2001) desktop came out of retirement a few months
7 >>> ago, I shuffled across Linuxes trying to find something that worked
8 >>> well, and finally hit on gentoo. I eventually switched to ~x86 because
9 >>> I was tired of using versions of apps from 6 months ago... Too make a
10 >>> long story short, I have a new computer now and that one is going back
11 >>> into retirement. I may want to use it more in future and would like to
12 >>> know how I would go about "mothballing" it so that if it ever needs to
13 >>> be used again, bringing it up to date will be as smooth and painless
14 >>> as possible. If I need to resurrect it, it will probably be at least a
15 >>> year from now. What would you recommend?
16 >>>
17 >>> Marcus
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >> Portage is better but that is a while to go without a update. It mostly
22 >> depends on what all is updated with some sort of hiccup between the time
23 >> you shut it down and the time you try to update it again. If there is
24 >> no major problems then it wouldn't be a issue but of there is multiple
25 >> packages with issues, then you have a problem.
26 >>
27 >> Me, I would put it in a closet or something with a ethernet cable hooked
28 >> up and just update it say once every 6 to 8 weeks. Just hope for the
29 >> best after that.
30 >>
31 >> Dale
32 >>
33 >> :-) :-)
36 > I have an "emergency desktop" system at work that I recently pulled out
37 > of storage to use (laptop HD died!). Once used, I spent quite a while
38 > updating it and was just going to put it aside using Dales suggestion
39 > when this thread got me thinking.
40 >
41 > I am going to clean out gnome and anything not of immediate use leaving
42 > just a bare desktop and minimal tools needed for emergency use (OO,
43 > evolution) - I'll replace gnome with fluxbox first.
44 >
45 > Then if it needs to get serious use other packages can be added on the
46 > fly. If it looks like longer term use, its easy to add gnome etc back
47 > overnight, and while continuing to use the fluxbox desktop.
48 >
49 > The minimal system should be quicker and simpler to update than a crufty
50 > system - and if you have to update much of gnome and the like,
51 > updating/reinstalling might take longer than building from scratch
52 > anyway (going by my last update to gnome :)
53 >
54 > BillK
58 I should also add that I use KDE. So, updating all that takes time plus
59 if there are packages with "issues" then that adds to the grief. It
60 appears that it depends on just what you have installed. If it is a
61 bare system, then it may not be to bad. If it is a full blown KDE like
62 mine, then that could take a really long while. Of course, portage has
63 been a lot better at handling blocks here lately too. There are
64 exceptions and they always confuse the heck out of me but it is a lot
65 better. That should shorten the update time for a lot of packages.
66
67 Maybe a 'emerge -ep world | genlop -p' would be in order here.
68
69 Dale
70