From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: firefox-bin optimizations?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 06:06:54
1 On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 12:37:10PM -0700, walt wrote
2 > On 09/30/2010 05:30 AM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 8:00 PM, Johannes Kimmel<johannes.kimmel@×××.de> wrote:
4 > >> On 09/30/2010 12:58 PM, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
5 > >>>
6 > >>> Heya,
7 > >>> I noticed that my firefox-bin is a lot smaller in memory footprint
8 > >>> compared to ordinary gentoo-compiled firefox.
9 > >>>
10 > >>> Does anyone know what compiler flags upstream applies to their
11 > >>> firefox?
12 >
13 > Try entering about:buildconfig in the URL bar.
14
15 I tried it, and for good measure, did some spelunking in the
16 .configure file in the firefox tarball. I have some questions, before
17 possibly tweaking the Firefox ebuild and/or .configure on my machine...
18
19 --enable-application=xulrunner
20 will Firefox run without this?
21
22 --enable-pango
23 will Firefox run without this? I have the "moznopango" flag set, which
24 is supposed to speed things up, but about:buildconfig indicates that
25 pango is enabled.
26
27 --disable-strip --disable-strip-libs --disable-install-strip
28 Why? I thought most packages stripped code after install.
29
30 --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
31 will Firefox run without this?
32
33 --enable-oji
34 will Firefox run without this? And what is "oji"? I can't find any
35 mention of what it does.
36
37 --enable-mathml
38 I don't really need it right now.
39
40 --enable-storage
41 will Firefox run without this? The help says...
42 "Enable mozStorage module and related components". Can someone please
43 give a short explanation in plain English what this does?
44
45 --disable-ogg
46 One thing I might consider enabling. Is there a problem with Firefox's
47 ogg support, or any other reason to disable it?
50 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>