From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up SMTP relay
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 23:49:55
1 On 26/1/2011, at 4:52pm, kashani wrote:
2 >>>> ...
3 >>>> ??? What password in ssmtp.conf ??? My /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf has 4
4 >>>> uncommented lines. They are...
5 >>>> ...
6 >>>
7 >>> If you set it up to email you stuff using e.g. your email account, you would
8 >>> also need authentication credentials:
9 >>
10 >> Ya, but he's got a Postfix server listening on that LAN, so the other machines (using ssmtp) don't need to authenticate to that.
11 >>
12 >> This thread has become far too complicated. Postfix can be set up editing only about 3 lines lines in its config file.
13 >
14 > I dont't think you have followed the thread correctly. The OP did say he had a user/pass in his ssmtpd.conf which I assumed was for accessing the final relay host. That was the reason for the extra lines.
15
16 Please forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I believe that was for accessing the external SMTP server belonging to the OP's ISP.
17
18 Formerly the "main" box used ssmtp to do that, too. Now the main box has migrated to Postfix, so the other boxes on the LAN can just relay through that.
19
20 Stroller.