From: Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdadm device removed
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 15:57:54
1 On 06-Aug-12 10:50, Kraus Philipp wrote:
2
3 > I'm using a software raid with mdadm (mirror). A few days ago the
4 > mdadm removes during the boot process one disk and sets the raid
5 > inactive. The disk contains no errors (smartctl) and nothing is
6 > reported in the logs. I reassemble the disk and activate the raid
7 > again. Reboot the system and my disk are in sync and everything works
8 > fine.
9 >
10 > I'm a little bit confused about it. Does anybody has got an idea, why
11 > the array lost a disk?
12
13 It may happen quite frequently with common (non-raid) drives
14 which do not have TLER implemented.
15
16 Modern drives have some kind of internal error-recovery
17 procedure which covers remapping of bad/weak sectors. This
18 might take quite long time (a few seconds, or even tens
19 of seconds) and as a result raid-controller (or raid-software)
20 marks drive as failed because it does not respond in
21 given time.
22
23 Solution is to use "raid-edition" drives, with TLER
24 (time limited error recovery) implemented. On some drives
25 this can be activated by using some utility (i.e. WDTLER.EXE).
26 You can read more about it on the net, i.e.:
27 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery
28 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Problems_with_RAID
29
30 Jarry
31 --
33 This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
34 Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.