From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] can't get xorg tdfx driver to work any more
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 20:31:44
1 A while ago I had a working 2-head setup which I stopped using because I
2 needed to use the proprietary ati driver. Now I need to revert to using the
3 twin-head setup, but I can't get it to work any more.
4
5 I have the same xorg.conf as before. What has changed is that I have upgraded
6 to xorg-7. It is also likely that I did something to my kernel config to get
7 the fglrx driver to work properly, but I can't remember what exactly. I get
8 confused about this because the various display-related kernel options are
9 scattered all over the place.
10
11 The setup basically consists of an agp radeon 9200SE (using the radeon driver)
12 and a pci voodoo banshee (using the tdfx driver).
13
14 The precise manifestation of the problem changed with the recent bump from
15 xorg-server-1.0.2-r4 to xorg-server-1.0.2-r5.
16
17 Before the bump I got a screen that was the right overall colour, but with
18 ugly incomplete horizontal lines across it. Windows were recognisably
19 windows, but still heavily garbled. Within half an hour or so I would have
20 complete system lock-up.
21
22 After the bump I now get a screen composed of horizontal red and black lines,
23 with the occasional flicker on the left hand side when something happens on
24 the desktop. The only thing that is barely recognisable is the mouse pointer,
25 which looks like a white bar-code. After a period of use (perhaps 20 minutes)
26 the display locks up irrecoverably, but I am able to restart gracefully from
27 a remote terminal session.
28
29 I tried the noaccel option, but that made no useful difference (I merely got a
30 few warning messages).
31
32 I have tried using alternative drivers, but I can't get any to work for me. I
33 had thought that vesa was a generic driver that should work on pretty well
34 anything, but it doesn't work here. The log says "chipset vesa not found".
35 fbdev doesn't work either. I tried vga, but that caused an instant system
36 lock-up.
37
38 What should I do to get a working 2-head setup?
39
40 And when I have got it working, would there be any advantage in emerging
41 xorg-drm, in terms of making up for the performance shortfall between the
42 radeon driver and fglrx?
43
44 Many thanks
45 Robert