From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A pared down kernel config
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:16:35
1 On Saturday 05 January 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Configuring a new kernel is a dreaded task here. It seems I walk
3 > through a bewildering array of stuff that when pressing F1 on them I
4 > get more bewildering information I barely understand a word of.
5
6 Ah yes. It's that way 'cause it was designed that way :-)
7
8 [snip]
9
10 > And of course the kicker is that I'd like to learn this without weeks
11 > and weeks of pounding away at it.
12
13 Unfortunately and in my experience, there's no easy shortcut to getting
14 a sane minimal kernel config. You really do need to have at least a
15 high-level understanding of what the various chunks of the kernel do so
16 that you can decide to enable them or not. You need to understand what
17 the various bits of hardware are - if you have never heard of iSCSI you
18 will have no idea if you need it or not. It's not enough to generally
19 just say "If you don't know what it is, you don't need it" as you might
20 run into SCSI, and know for a fact you do not have any SCSI hardware.
21 But, without it, all kinds of stuff break (like usb storage)
22
23 I know how I got my current level of knowledge - years and years of
24 pounding away at it, reading thousands of howtos and web pages, only to
25 have tons of it become redundant every six months. I strongly suspect
26 you may have to do something similar.
27
28 > My current quest involved getting a kernel with full barrel iptables
29 > and conn_track settings in place. The usual problem is that the
30 > howtos are dealing with a much older (in kernel devel time) kernel
31 > that actually has different or not all the setting currently
32 > available.
33
34 trial-and-error is probably your best bet. Get it working with a full
35 genkernel setup. Note which modules get used in real life, start
36 removing them in batches and make notes when stuff breaks
37
38 > Can someone steer me to a more `in depth' tutorial? Or to something
39 > they've found to really throw some light the chore? Not necessarily
40 > about iptables but just the general chore of configuring a kernel
41 > wisely.
42
43 I've yet to find a single resource for this. As I said above it does
44 seem to be a collection of knowledge gathered from many places over a
45 long period.
46
47 There's a reason for the existence of genkernel - it's so that you don't
48 have to go through all this pain and suffering, and can instead remove
49 stuff a bit at a time with reasonable confidence it won;t blow up in
50 your face :-)
51
52 alan
55 Alan McKinnon