From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] slow x
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 00:44:06
3 > My x is a bit slow. Lets say I have a minimized web browser with a
4 > page with pictures and text. If I maximize it, the drawing of the
5 > page and the widgets doesn't happen instantly, but it takes a moment.
6
7 Is this for all X apps, or just Firefox. If it's just text-rendering,
8 try compiling Firefox with "moznopango" flag , either in /etc/make.conf
9 or /etc/package.use. Note that this may disable non-English fonts.
10
11 > I have a radeon 7500 , 512MB of RAM, 1,5GHz AMD
12 > and fluxbox, 1.6.5-r1 x server.
13
14 Is that 512MB the video card or your system ram? If it's 512MB system
15 ram, that's probably your problem right there. Firefox will strain your
16 system just by itself. Firefox is getting too bloated for its own good.
17 SQL database and spell-check built in... what was the old joke about
18 Mozilla 0.9... about:kitchen sink. Firefox is a mediocre operating
19 system that lacks a lightweight web-browser.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>